Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Join Me In A Moment Of Silent Prayer (or do nothing--it all comes out the same)


image thanks to PZ, who thanks Brian Flemming, who thanks Maria.
Let's fold our hands and bow our heads
And mumble something low,
Or pray to tens of millions on
Some television show.
Let's take a silent moment, and
Have others do the same,
So those remaining talking can
Be sure to feel their shame.
Let's know that we are better, cos
We spent our time in prayer,
Than atheists and heathens who
Are working over there.
Let's say a prayer for Washington,
For Darfur; for Tibet;
Let's say a prayer for hunger, and
To fix the nation's debt.
Let's say a prayer for miners, trapped
In tunnels underground;
Let's say a prayer for missing kids
In hopes that they are found.
Let's say a prayer for polar ice
And students gone berserk;
Let's say a prayer for everything--
It sure beats doing work.

9 comments:

The Ridger, FCD said...

For all the pleasure you've given me, something's on its way

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Pray to help your loved one,
Lying in the ICU;
If he's healed, it must be God!
Not doctors, just the woo.

I'm more than happy to donate a small sum. Consider it a down payment on a (signed) copy of your first published volume.

William said...

Love the poster, pretty much says everything, doesn't it?

Love the blogroll link too! Thanks, Cuttlefish! (Now how often do I get to say that?)

And I wouldn't fret the tip jar - have you seen how many links I have to Amazon on my blog? I feel so dirty...

Cuttlefish said...

Ridger... CAE...

I am writing this with tears in my eyes. Thank you from the bottom of all three of my hearts!

(I was so not anticipating this that I have yet to hook up a bank account to that paypal thingie, so it will be a short while before that happens.)

Thank you, thank you, thank you... When the book comes out, yours will have custom poems handwritten in sepia ink!

DC

Cuttlefish said...

Also thanks to one other who did not mention him/herself here, so I am assuming he/she wishes to remain anonymous. Same thanks, same appreciation, same sepia tears...

DC

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

You're more than welcome. Your blog is one of the best out there, and in any other medium we'd be paying to read your poems! Keep up the good work!

#1 Dinosaur said...

An addendum from the father of the Dinosaur:

So as we try, by hook and crook,
To have that sanctimonious look,
We sit and gladly do no work,
We leave that to some other jerk.
We think that all will be allrighty
And hope for sure that the Allmighty
Will forgive the live and breathin'
Atheist and pious heathen.

The Ridger, FCD said...

Indeed, you are most welcome. It's the least I can do - I come here every day and you don't disappoint.

Cuttlefish said...

Ridger--If you really think that was "the least you could do", I think you need to read the verse again!

;-P

And yay, Dino!