Thursday, June 09, 2011

"Two Crustaceans On The Moon..."

A guest post of sorts today! Reader Azita shares a song she wrote, and which I absolutely love. There is something special about the cross-pollination between art and science; Azita is a biology student, and so this song takes a unique perspective. It is "Lobster Love", and I've attached the lyrics below--but watch and listen first!



The lyrics:
Wouldn't it be nice you and me
Two lobsters in the sea
Holding claws on the beach
Wouldn't it be nice if we had time
To watch the world go by
Watch day turn into night
As the stars begin to shine
Under starlight you are mine

I know that I only met you once but I never needed anyone else
I'm not saying this is love but I never needed anyone else

If we could I'd like to ride in a balloon
Fly as high as we could
Two crustaceans on the moon
We could do all the things we dreamed we'd do
Have anemones for tea
And a conch shell made for two
And we'd have to make some room
For the little lobsters too

I know that I only met you once but I never needed anyone else
I'm not saying this is love but I never needed anyone else

You make my heart beat faster, just listen
Faster than it should with my single circulatory system
I always knew I wanted you in my picture
If I had a spine you'd make it shiver
Believe me, I'm your biggest fan
I care for you as deeply as an arthropod can
When I'm with you, we have a lot of fun
You see right through my protective exoskeleton

I know that I only met you once but I never needed anyone else
I'm not saying this is love but I never needed anyone else


There is just so much to love about this ("if I had a spine you'd make it shiver"), and I thank Azita from the bottoms of all three of my Cuttlefish hearts, and encourage all of you to follow her example, and be creative and wonderful.

5 comments:

yokohamamama said...

Bravo! Bravo! Well written, and well sung! Clever, nice hooks-- I'll listen to this again for sure:-))

(Cuttlefish-san: there's another worrisome threatening comment from the same person as the other day. Can you block it?)

Cuttlefish said...

Gotcha covered, Y-mama. Would have cleaned up earlier, but our power was out!

entropy said...

Whoa! That was sweet.

yokohamamama said...

Not me, Cuttlefish-san-- worried about you!
Power out? Thunderstorms? Glad you're back online:-) It's getting to be that time of year, isn't it (grew up in Indiana--thunderstorms and power out every summer:-).

The Ridger, FCD said...

Sweet indeed. Thanks for sharing