Monday, April 25, 2011

The Rough Draft

You’re proud of yourself and the way that you write
In a world full of darkness, you show us the light
I would see it myself, if I weren’t so uptight
I’m the victim, it seems, of my breeding
You’re the wave of the future; I’m stuck without sight
But I’d rather you'd just done the reading.

You’ll have to accept that I’m not over-awed
The conclusions you reach are at minimum, broad
Though I know you expected us all to applaud
Your example was somewhat misleading
Your mechanics are poor and your premise is flawed
And I’d rather you’d just do the reading

There was never a doubt that the writing’s your own
I could tell by the multiple “studies have shown”
Though the authors themselves were remaining unknown
There are rules you’d be better off heeding
You say that to edit would cut you to the bone
It would help if you’d just do the reading.

When I point out a problem, you sit and you stew
And insist that it doesn’t apply, quite, to you
And the logical squirming that then will ensue
Is an error that’s termed “special pleading”
Since we covered this stuff way back in week two
I really wish you’d done the reading.

What I’m trying to do is to make you aware
That the paper you’ve written’s beyond all repair
It’s reduced me to sobbing and tearing my hair
Which I tell folks is merely receding
For the sake of your future, I think that it’s fair
To insist that you do the reading


Actually, I'm fairly happy with the drafts I've seen thus far. But I've come to expect a certain number that vex me... so I've hidden all sharp objects and padded the forehead-accessible areas of my desk.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm posting this on the classroom door the next time I feel the need to adjunct at the local community college.

entropy said...

Oh. Oh! Ha haha hahahaha.

Rough or not, it is beautifully crafted and delivers the point time on target.

Anonymous said...

*NEW VIDEO* from RDFRS

lunaticoutpost.com/Topic-CRISS-ANGEL-MINDPHOQUE

Tsu Dho Nimh said...

Brilliant!

May I recommend wearing a helmet - it will protect against the occasional paper that makes you want to pound your head on the concrete floor because the wooden desk is too soft.