Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!

Thank you all, all of you, for 2008. I could not have envisioned a better year if I had been able to plan it all out for myself in advance.

I have tried putting a year-end thank-you to verse, but it was all just too trite and nasty, not representative of the deep gratitude I feel toward so many of you. So, consider yourselves the ones who left Cuttlefish speechless. And instead, I’ll just post a few pictures for you. None are remarkable for any reason other than that I took them. I was there. Finally. And some of you reading know that I could not have done that without you. So… completely inadequately… thank you.

So very much.

And have a great 2009!

I just realized that an unusually substantial number of my memorable moments of 2008 occurred in Hotels. Not that unusual, given the amount of time spent living in them this year, but still… so if you are one of the people who crossed paths with me in a Hotel, consider yourself doubly thanked. New York, Chicago, Sofia, Bourgas, Thessaloniki, Delphi, and especially Athens. And I am sure I am forgetting some. I love you all.

(click pics to moderately embiggen)

Chicago (not my favorite view, but the best I have a pic of):

A close-up of a Greek vase...

My favorite statue:

I love this shot--a column from the Athens agora:

The back view of the Parthenon. No photo will ever do it justice.

A simple pot... but it was the casket for an infant. I can't imagine being the parent... or the person who found it.

The size of these columns simply does not come across in photos.

The changing of the guards in Athens. A beautiful ceremony--of course, in the past few weeks there have been protests here.

The theatre at Epidaurus. Acoustically perfect; I could hear every word spoken from where I took this pic. Standing where the speaker is standing, it sounds like you are in your own bathtub. You hear yourself perfectly. An amazing place.

Nafplion. I can't do it justice, so I will just post one image. The water is bluer, the mountain is higher, the everything is everythinger...


I think I'll cut this short here--I took (literally) thousands of photos, but I suspect evil spirits will prohibit me from posting all of them on this post. More later... or perhaps sooner, one never knows. These shots are reduced in quality, but some of them (I don't think any of this post's) I use as desktop images in their higher resolutions. Anyone who wants anything here in hi-rez, just ask.

6 comments:

Enshoku said...

I love the parthenon, its so amazing that it was constructed around 500 bc, when stone was such a valued commodity.

Also...are those soldiers goose stepping in clown shoes?

Melissa Gay Art said...

So amazing!!!

Happy 2009, Cuttles! Hope this year brings as much joy as the last! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Cuttlefish don't worry about the evil spirits!

I also thought you might appreciate looking at this book when it comes out in April.

http://brucemhood.wordpress.com/about-supersense/

No matter whether you are a believer or a skeptic, it has something really important to say from the world of child development about the origins of adult belief.

Best

Bruce

Cuttlefish said...

Looks like that could really be a great book, Bruce--and I say that having read a great many stabs at some of the same topic area, from A to Z (literally, from Alcock to Zusne & Jones, and many, many in between)! Good luck with it--perhaps you'll get your first rhyming review!

Anonymous said...

Oops. Should've read further. Pic of Epidauros right here! It is breathtaking, no? You are totally right - everything is everythinger. The sky in Greece is so blue, back here in MN it seems just pale and washed out, like it's only half the sky Greece has.

Cuttlefish said...

I should have read further, too--I replied in the other thread!