Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"The New Phone Book's Here!!!"


In the movie "The Jerk", Steve Martin's character gets excited when the new phone books arrive: "I'm somebody now!" I kinda feel a little like that, today. There is a wonderful new book out, full of excellent writing on Academia, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Mathematics & Technology, Medicine & Health Sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences... oh, yeah, and my little poem.

Even though I thought The Ridger's poem was better, mine is the one you can see in the preview; indeed, aside from the table of contents (which you should take a look at--this is an excellent collection!), my poem is the only bit of writing in the preview! A position of honor, indeed!

... and I had to choose to remain anonymous? So much for fame, glory, and fabulous riches!

Anyway, the book is available here--be sure to click the "preview this book" link and see what all is in this collection! If I ever run into anybody who has bought one, I will (given sufficient notice) sign it with a poem for them--and just for them.

And if you are looking for a poem in this post, that is also there in that link.

5 comments:

TrueFliesBlogger said...

Congrats on being included! Sounds like a great book to have.

The Ridger, FCD said...

Thanks, Cuttle. Your poem is good, though, so I don't repine. Losing to you is almost like not losing.

Incitatus4Congress said...

Yeah, whatever, dude. When are you bringing out the anthology? I'd buy it.

BTW, I've been reading "On the Nature of Things", and I was thinking somebody really needs to bring out a slightly more up-to-date volume (some of the science is just a wee bit on the wrong side of the BCE/CE line).

It would be kinda like Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" but in verse.

Maybe you're the cephalopod for the job, Cuttlefish.

Blake Stacey said...

Cuttlefish: the Lucretius of the modern age! I heartily second the nomination. I've tried my hand at versifying science, but I know when I've been bested. :-)

Cuttlefish said...

Blake--

Loved your poetic response to Jamie!
Stephanie and Ridger, thanks!

Rev. Dr.... I have a friend who is writing a beautiful poem about "everything". It takes some doing. But he is incredible, as is his poem; it is an honor and privilege to be reading it, in bits and pieces, as he writes it. I think it might fit your bill. But thanks for your very kind thoughts!