Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Teratoma--or, Knit me a sister.

Shelley serves as my muse again today... The brain was not her first post about anatomically accurate knitting; there was a previous post on a cute and cuddly teratoma. Ok, so she calls it "complicated and grotesque", but tomayto tomahto. But the knit teratoma is indeed cute and cuddly, if you ask me. So I thought I would try a slightly different spin on the whole idea of having had a twin who died and whose body, in the womb, was absorbed into yours in the form of a tumor with recognizable body parts.

I mean, that can't be all bad, can it?

"Teratoma", or "Knit me a Sister".

"I have an invisible friend", I said,
"But she doesn't hide beneath my bed,
Or in my closet--no, instead,
I keep her tucked inside."

"We do not mean to condescend,
But we all know, there's no such friend;
This fabrication now must end."
My Mom and Dad replied.

"But Mommy! Daddy! Please, I swear!
She's closer than my teddy bear!
See my tummy? She's in there!
I even feel her growing!"

My parents didn't scream or shout;
They trusted me, despite their doubt,
And had a doctor check me out
When something started showing!

My friend was real! I hadn't lied!
At first, my twin, but then she died.
The doctors cut me open wide
And shoveled out my basement.

I never knew I had a sister,
But once my friend was gone, I missed her;
So, knitting till she raised a blister
My Mom made a replacement!






By the way, the original source of the pictures also has a poem (or song) about it! And instructions!

6 comments:

Shelley said...

Cute and cuddley? Yes, I suppose
You might find large eyes
And a button nose,
A pouting mouth and tiny hands,
even in piecemeal, I understand.

But I think I prefer tamer fare,
without brain tissue and clumps of hair,
a security blanket is much less rare
than a frankensteinian teddy bear.

Jo said...

Okay, so. Um. Is it bad form to admit that I'm totally, *totally* a fan now?

Um?

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

tag!

Mad Hatter said...

Cuttlefish--I saw the poem you wrote in the comments on VWXYNot?'s blog and had to come visit. I am so impressed!

EcoGeoFemme said...

I came here via VWXYNot. Your blog is amazing!

This one is really funny. :)

Unknown said...

How about a knit cuttlefish?