Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Louisiana, 2010

They built a platform, and they start to drill
They didn't worry 'bout an oil spill
And if disaster comes, where does the oil go?
Millions of gallons in the Gulf of Mexico

We see the slick on top, but we don’t see beneath
See what it’s done to the fish, 
     what it’s done to the coral reef
The damage done may take us years to know
Millions of gallons in the Gulf of Mexico

Louisiana…. Louisiana….
You have had more than your share
You have had more than your share
Louisiana…. Louisiana….
You have had more than your share
You have had more than your share

The more we look around, the more it’s looking harsh
We’ll prob’ly lose the reef; prob’ly lose the marsh
We’ll see the shrimp die out; we’ll see the turtles go
Millions of gallons in the Gulf of Mexico

Give it a day or two, and it’ll hit the Keys
We’ll watch a wonderland, 
     we'll see it brought to its knees
Disaster up on top, disaster down below
Millions of gallons in the Gulf of Mexico

Louisiana…. Louisiana….
You have had more than your share
You have had more than your share
Louisiana…. Louisiana….
You have had more than your share
You have had more than your share

People everywhere, are asking who to blame
Think we ought to look in the mirror; that will give us one name
A boundless appetite, makes the oil flow
Millions of gallons in the Gulf of Mexico

Louisiana…. Louisiana….
You have had more than your share
You have had more than your share
Louisiana…. Louisiana….
You have had more than your share
You have had more than your share


Now all I need is someone who can sing...


By request, for Fmagyar, who is one of the many who will see the devastation firsthand--diving under the slick to check coral transplants.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

A very very deep and heartfelt thank you for this poem!

Fred Magyar

Cuttlefish said...

Thank you for requesting one--I had been intending to write one for days, but the magnitude of the situation was overwhelming. I could not think of a way that did not trivialize it. Randy Newman's song, though, was the perfect vehicle, so he gets most of the credit.

Unknown said...

This poem is wonderful! And so true. Not enough people are saying it. Seriously. You kind of made my day. Thank you.

-Laurel Angelica

DM said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Hey DM,

WTF?!

You off your meds? Or are you just lost and posting in the wrong thread?

Anonymous said...

You know, when I read it (awesome by the way) I heard it much faster in my mind, i.e. in the style of Baba Brinkman.

Unknown said...

Ted Powell sent me the link to your blog after I sent him my video response to the oil spill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4U2r2JqNLg

Do you have a melody in mind for this? Do you want me to play a bit to see what I can come up with? I really like what you've written.

Gale

Cuttlefish said...

Gale--

It was loosely written to the tune of Randy Newman's song (the video in the post), but if you are a tunesmith and would like to try something out, be my guest!

Cuttlefish said...

Gale--

Serves me right for commenting before watching your video! Beautiful song, beautiful voice! I'd love to see what you might do to my little verse.

Unknown said...

Duh! Of course I should have realized it was patterned after the Randy Newman song! But if you don't mind my taking a few liberties with the chorus, it could become something new and different. How would you feel about a little collaborative effort? I don't want to intrude on your creative process!

Cuttlefish said...

Gale--

I've been listening to your music; feel free to do whatever you wish! This is not intrusion, this is a welcome symbiosis.

Unknown said...

Cuttlefish... ideas starting to percolate... email me directly at gale at galemead.com to take it from here

Corinna said...

I like this idea. I'll try and set it to the original music and post to soundcloud or youtube.

When I first heard of the explosion, I felt horror and grief. I spent many hours of my childhood on the beaches of the Gulf Coast - the white sands of the Florida panhandle, the brown sands of the Texas beaches. I would walk around the estuaries, looking at crabs and birds, and the tiny creatures that live in the sand.

The feelings of helplessness are too strong, I have stopped keeping up with the news. It hurts too much.

I felt a similar sense of grief with Katrina, since I have a special place in my heart for the music of New Orleans.

Your song has given voice to some of what I feel. Thank you - this is what poets are for. Perhaps now I can add my own voice to the growing chorus.

Corinna said...

http://soundcloud.com/evilsquashbirds/louisiana-2010

This is the best I can do -- it's really hard singing this song over and over to try and get it right. :(

I considered trying to set it to a video montage - The Big Picture has had some wonderful images, but it's too heartbreaking.

I have to let it go now.