Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Wonderful News! A Potential Cure For Diabetes!

A news release from Novocell today
Reports a major step to find a cure
For diabetes. They have found a way,
From embryonic stem cells, to make pure
And uncontaminated strains, in mice,
Of insulin-producing pancreas cells.
For human diabetics, this is nice
Of course, because this news potentially spells
The end to constant testing and injections,
Daily hassles, both the large and small,
Relief from greater risks of bad infections,
And generally a better life for all.
It’s time to end the ethical debate;
There’s too much cost in making people wait.

That's right--The news outlets are all reporting on Novocell's new discovery.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Human stem cells transformed into nearly normal insulin-producing cells when implanted into mice, possibly offering a way to treat diabetes long-term, researchers at a U.S. company reported on Wednesday.

The researchers used human embryonic stem cells -- the most powerful but the most controversial source of stem cells.

Writing in the journal Nature Biotechnology, the team at San Diego, California-based Novocell Inc said their work showed that human embryonic stem cells might fulfill the promise of treating or perhaps even curing diabetes.

"Our data provide the first compelling evidence that human embryonic stem cells can serve as a renewable source of functional insulin-producing cells for diabetes cell replacement therapies," said Emmanuel Baetge, chief scientific officer of Novocell.
The actual report is in the journal Nature Biotechnology (abstract here)

Oh... some of you know already... my son has Type 1 Diabetes. So yeah, I'm happy.



(just noticed....I beat the science blogs to this, and I did it in verse!)

4 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

I hope the wing-nuts who are opposed to stem cell research don't find a way to block this therapy.

Cuttlefish said...

Thank you, EGF.

I know my son would be willing to lobby Congress. And of course I would.

I am hoping the results of studies like this will speak louder than anecdotes--but this is Congress, not the scientific community, so they may need a 2X4 upside the head...

The Ridger, FCD said...

Congrats on the scoop, the verse, and the hope.

Cuttlefish said...

Thanks, Ridger!

So far, the best part about it has been my son's reaction. Yeah, he's in college, but it's still telling my boy some really good news! I was told when he was diagnosed not to expect a cure within his lifetime. I am not expecting... but I certainly am hoping.