Friday, November 02, 2007

Cute, cute, cute...

The cutest of all of the cephalopods
(And thus, of all creatures on Earth)
Is the cuttlefish, cuter by staggering odds
Than a puppy or kitten at birth.
Attempting to list all the cuttlefish charms
Is a noble, though hopeless, endeavor;
From their tails, to their eyes, to their marvelous arms--
And they’re oh-so-endearingly clever!
The shifting displays their chromatophores show
Are delightful to watch, don’t you think?
And like every good poet, wherever they go
They will never forget to bring ink.
The award for “the cutest” is one they will keep;
Let me say it direct, and not subtle--
Beauty, they say, is only skin-deep
But cuteness goes clear to the cuttle.


Posted as a comment on Pharyngula

10 comments:

Ctenotrish, Death's Ctenophore said...

"Cute goes clear to the cuttle"

Oh, that is brilliant! Nice work - and always great fun to run across one of your poems in the comments of various blogs. Cheers, ctenotrish.

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

A little self-worship is never a bad thing, eh?!

Podblack said...

You're just too cute! :P

Annyday said...

Much affection.

Unknown said...

I love this poem SO much. It speaks the truth. I adore the banner too! So much so, I'm quite tempted by a tattoo of said pen wielding cuttlefish... <3

Cuttlefish said...

If you get the tat, you know the internet rules, Sheree: Pics, or it didn't happen!

(glad you liked it!)

Unknown said...

I'll definitely post pics if/when I do!

I'm a tattoo artist apprentice and will far along enough to be doing some ink on myself before too long I hope. Been trying to come up with a good cuttlefish design to do on my leg because they're the most adorable awesome thing in the sea. A friend linked me here for the poem and I'm all inspired now. :D

Cuttlefish said...

email me (addy over there to the right) if you'd like a copy of the original (w/o background, lettering, etc) of the pic.

Take your time, though! Wouldn't want you to regret something that will stay with you the rest of your life!

Unknown said...

Thank you! I've actually already re-drawn it with a few alterations to make it more me since, ya know, gotta be me. ;) I'll scan it in as soon as I get a chance.

May be a bit before I actually tattoo it though. I need to be fully ready, as it'll be the first tat I ever do on anyone! :)

Sheree said...

I know it was ages ago I posted here about the cuttlefish tattoo, but it took this long to finally get it! I didn't end up doing it myself because I wanted it on my arm and find it difficult to tattoo myself anywhere other than my leg. :P But my pal and co-worker did an amazing job! I LOVE it! Thank you for the inspiration!!
http://img24.imageshack.us/i/cuttlefishtat.jpg/